Welcome to the University of Maryland's Learning Technology Mobility Initiative. Our goals are as follows:
- Enhance the classroom learning experience
- Promote interaction between faculty and students
- Promote the university's world class status through innovation and technology
Here are some reasons why faculty should consider using Mobile devices in education:
- Mobile devices are capable of providing enhanced ebooks featuring images, video and audio.
- Students are using a wide range of different smartphones and mobile devices and are already acquainted with touch screen technology
- Mobile devices can be designed to serve as an instructional material, or lab tool, for students to work on classroom and research projects
- Mobile devices provide a limitless amount of information through wireless technology. Also, students can have a free access to tons of reference apps for facts, questions, statistics, articles, data and many more.
Our Mobility Initiative has a limited number of iPod Touches, and iPads that can be loaned to faculty for distribution to students for a limited time-period during the semester. With a rotating loan schedule, multiple classes can benefit from using the devices during a single semester.
UMCP Faculty who wish to rent devices for their classroom should fill out the online form two weeks before the start of each semester: request form